Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Masters Degree finished!

I did it!  I submitted the last output this week. The official title is Masters Professional Certification in Adult Learning.  It only took me a year to do the work and study and the outputs amounted to more than 30,000 words of writing. In the beginning the guidelines were that it could be finished in 6 to 9 months and the writing had to be at least 20,000 words.  I don't feel too badly about 12 months, or fourteen if you count from the time I registered.  It has been fun and I learned lots.  It was not only about having that MA thingey after my name, although I won't mind that.  It is really about staying young, always learning new things, and about progress and becoming more competent..

 Once many years ago I started a Masters Degree in Guidance and Counselling but had a baby instead in the middle of it.  It would not have been as useful to me now as this one anyway, and I am much happier to have that particular daughter.  Since nothing is ever wasted however, it was good background for some of the things I studied in the last year.  Who knew that Carl Rogers, who had quite a controversial counselling theory, also did a lot or writing about experiential and transformative education? I am now quite a fan of his.  

My last output was about my plans for future learning.  I guess it should never stop. Realistically we are all learning in some way until we die.  The converse of that must be that not learning is like being "not all dead, just mostly dead."  Here's to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment