Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions? Not really

Today is January 2nd, the day to confirm the New Year's Resolutions formulated yesterday. Well, not for me. I have been on such a steep learning curve that I have no desire for resolutions. I am, however, looking over my past year.  What a year it was too. I didn't make a lot of money, didn't get published, except for this blog.  Didn't become famouns. So what did I do?

1.  Finished four parts of my Master'sThesis.  That doesn't describe all the work and study I did to learn the stuff to write it.  As part of that I also became certified in Equine Assisted Learning and participated in delivering a program or two - quite a steep learning curve.  Really read up on Adult Learning Theory and feel llike I really am smarter because of it. I wouldn't have had time to makelots of  money evcn if I had had the opportunity, not and get all this done. If there is a resolution it might be to help with the marketing of the EAL programs.

2. Became trained in delivering an additional workshop for the GOA - Resolving Conflict.  I know a lot more about resolving conflict, that's for sure. I have read two good books, "Crucial Conversations" and "The Bully at Work."  I have learned a lot about the things people do when they are in a conflict to make themselves look better or to win.  It is not a pretty side of human nature and really does require skills to deal with it. 

3.  In August I started a shift at the Alberta Temple.  It is marvelous to be there every Tuesday for the afternoon/evening shift.  However, if my business gets much busier I may not be able to do it and 2011 is not looking good. (Or it is, however you want to look at it.)   How many times will I have to get a sub before I have to admit I don't have time right now? The general idea is that when you get a sub, you are agreeing to sub for them later, which for me could also be a challenge.  This job really is for retired people and I am far from retired.  If I do careful scheduling I might be able to leave Tuesdays free but even then the real challenge is to fit all the other work I do into one less day a week!  So I will just have to see how it goes.  The real truth is that they need men more then they need me.  I know for certain that single women who want to work at the temple go onto a waiting list.  Jim could keep going.  However, it would be a real shame to waste the learning I have done to be an ordinance worker . That was a VERY steep learning curve.

I noticed during the year that my right eyelid droops quite a lot.  If I am very tired both eyes droop, but I have thought on several occasions that it was odd for only the one to be droopy.  I was talking about this with Esther and she said her left eye gets droopy, and she thinks hers is because she worries.  The right brain (the side that worries) controls the left eye, ergo her droopy left eye!  If my right eye droops that must be because the left brain, the part that is responsible for logic, ideas, reading, and therefore academic learning is tired.  Now when that eye gets droopy I take a rest. 

So what do I expect for 2011.  Back to GOA, perhaps more courses, since I can now deliver three instead of two. More work editing and course design.  There are already a couple of projects in the works. And Jim has contracts lining up and when he is busier, so am I.  Roxy is getting busy marketing EAL and wants to do Every Wednesday with school students and one more day a week with corporate clients.  We could do it.  So busy busy busy.  Certainly no time for New Year's Resolutions.  I guess my one resolutions is to keep on top of what I already know, do, or have planned.  Sounds very satisfying.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment